With millions of people living in long-term care facilities, nursing home abuse is a concern that cannot be ignored. If you believe that a loved one may be suffering from nursing home neglect, it’s important to recognize the types and signs of abuse as well as consult an experienced Reno nursing home abuse lawyer.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home mistreatment and neglect may include the following:
• Continual or prolonged deprivation of water or food
• Failing to provide care for existing medical problems
• Assault and battery
• Sexual assault
• Unreasonable physical restraint
• Use of psychotropic medication for non-medical purposes
• Use of a chemical or physical restraint
Consulting with an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer in Reno NV can provide you with greater understanding of the types of nursing home neglect.
5 Common Signs that Abuse is Occurring
The following are five common signs that your loved one may be suffering from abuse:
1. Your loved one is disoriented, drowsy, sleeping, or confused much of the time as a result of medication overdose or the adverse side effects of such medication without proper monitoring.
2. Your loved one is experiencing incontinence due to a lack of assistance with toileting.
3. Your loved one is suffering from rashes in the diaper area due to disposable briefs not being changed as necessary.
4. Your loved one has developed bruises, dislocations, broken bones, bed sores, open wounds or scratches.
5. Your loved one is malnourished or dehydrated; has experienced sudden weight loss, or becomes weak possibly due to withholding of water or food.
If you have noticed any of the above signs or have some other reason to suspect that your loved one may be suffering from neglect in a nursing home, it’s imperative that you seek assistance from an experienced nursing home abuse attorney at the Law Office of Stephen Osborne. By consulting a nursing home abuse attorney Reno residents can ensure the rights of their loved ones are protected.